Saturday, February 3, 2007

Treadmill Song List

I often wonder what to post on a blog that's of interest to myself and possibly others. One thing I love is lists. Not so much David Letterman top 10's but more along the lines of the record store guys in the movie High Fidelity. Yes I'm a nerd, but aren't we all deep down.
Currently my top interests in the hobby sort of areas are collecting and listening to music and of course watching my Washington Wizards play. Unfortunately, I fear my Wizards are about to go on a losing streak, so I'm left with the music. I'm an ipod owner and an Itunes user. As I've mentioned before, albums are kind of out and playlists are in. I haven't done too much on the playlist front, but have created one for use when I exercise at home on my Gazelle glider or at the gym on the treadmill. The only criteria is the song be good and be fast.

Here's my list called "Treadmill Songs":

Shake A Tail Feather by Five Du-Tones
New York City by They Might Be Giants
Shake Some Action by The Flamin' Groovies
Half a Boy and Half a Man by Nick Lowe
Shake Your Coconuts by Junior Senior
I See Red by Split Enz
Shattered by The Rolling Stones
Ain't That a Shame by Cheap Trick
Suffragette City by David Bowie
All Revved Up With No Place To Go by Meatloaf
I'm the Man by Joe Jackson
Just Got Lucky by JoBoxers
Shake A Tail Feather by James and Bobby Purify
Love Rollercoaster by The Ohio Players
Little King by Robbie Fulks
She's Late by The Good Humor Band
Mmmbop by Hanson
Maureen by Fountains of Wayne
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning by Paul Kelly


It overlaps my Pop songs list somewhat, probably because I'm in a rut. The highlight of the list is 2 different versions of the song: Shake a Tail Feather. I first heard this song performed live by the Skip Castro Band. Their cover was great. Once the internet evolved, it took me a long time to track down this song. I believe that it may have been in the movie "The Blues Brothers" but don't think it was on the soundtrack album. I finally found it on a Soul Sixties collection by James and Bobby Purify. I still have no clue who they are. Later on, I found the soundtrack CD for the John Waters movie "Hairspray" and it contained a different version of the song.Both are good, but I like the James and Bobby Purify version best.

Shake Some Action was another tough one to track down. I first heard it performed by a Blacksburg, Va. band called "The Twist". I knew it was by the Flamin' Groovies, but it took nearly 20 years to find an album that contained it. Finally I found a 2 disk Flamin' Groovies compilation at Tower Records in downtown DC.

Looks like my son likes Shake Some Action and Love Rollercoaster best.

Got any suggestions for other good exercise songs? The only criteria is that they are fast and good! Let me know.
Want a copy? email me at dtodd1959@yahoo.com and I'll burn it for you. You'll be fit in no time.

No comments: