Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Food and Virtue

First off, I'd like to lose 15 pounds. Not for health reasons but for appearance's sake. I'd like to look good at the pool or on the beach.

But I am way tired of the association of food with virtue. It seems to me that in today's society virtue, shame, and guilt are only ever mentioned in the context of one's food choices. Honestly, how did supposedly healthy eating get associated with virtue. You're not doing me any favors by having a rice cake instead of cheese cake. Clearly you have your own selfish reasons for making that choice. Just like I'd like to eat "healthier" to improve my appearance. Its for me. No one else. I doubt these 15 pounds will translate into a longer or shorter life span. 50 maybe, but not 15. There is nothing virtuous about my desire to drop these pounds.
OK, someone's fat. What's it to you? They are no less virtuous than you are. Give them a break. I'm sure they're not thrilled about it. They certainly don't need to be judged.

Sure don't overdo it. Control your calorie intake. But don't feel guilty for a piece of candy or cake. And don't assign adjective qualities to food items. They're neither good nor bad, moral nor immoral.
Afterall, how can a piece of chocolate cheese cake be "bad"? If you ask me, its a little bit of heaven.

No comments: