Monday, September 24, 2007

seduced by the evil empire




So in the wars between the snobs and the slobs, my allegiances usually align with the slobs. I live (and work) in Prince Georges County rather than the richer and trendier Montgomery County, Md or Fairfax County, Va. Mostly its the fact that I can get a nice house in a nice area with ok schools for about half the price. Ah the schools! I think PG has done well for my autistic son and my "normal" daughter seems to be getting challenged. But the fact remains that the schools here have a bad reputation. Partially deserved I suppose but also partially due to the fact that the system is majority minority and thus seems to many eyes like they just can't be very good. I'm not sure that everyone can look beyond appearances and actually try to find out the facts. Anyway, I enjoy where I live and am satisfied with the services provided by the county.

But I visited Montgomery County and darned if I wasn't seduced. I drove up Georgia Ave. through Wheaton to the greater Rockville area. I turned into a beautiful looking neighborhood where I picked up my daughter. On the way back, I stopped at Wheaton Regional Park, which turned out to be a beautiful park with train, carousel, and miles of hiking trails. Then the drive back down Georgia Ave. led me past dozens of ethnic restaurants that we just don't see in PG. I stopped at a Salvadoran restaurant and picked up some pupusas to take home. Damn, it seemed nice! "Hmmm, maybe Montgomery's not such a bad place to live. I think I saw some for sale signs back there."

I do know the cure for Montgomery envy though. I just need to take a peek at the prices in the real estate section. And then take those numbers and calculate a monthly payment. That will bring me back to earth and PG pretty quickly.
And you know what? We've got a better seal!!

No comments: