Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday Song of the Day

I'll Go To My Grave Loving You by the Statler Brothers (click to listen)

When I was a junior in high school, Ricky Alcorn and I were darn close to being best friends. This was pretty strange because he was WAY, WAY cooler than I was. We had known each other since 5th grade and were friendly during all that time, but in 11th grade we had almost all of our classes together and for some reason, it all clicked. Anyway, Ricky was very cool but the unusual thing was, HE LIKED COUNTRY MUSIC. And he was unapologetic about it. He actually made fun of me for not liking it. One of his albums at the time was the Statler Brothers Greatest Hits, which as it turns out was damn good. Especially this song, which is beautiful. Alas, we lost touch over that summer and didn't have any classes together senior year, so we drifted apart and I was unable to channel his coolness on my own. But he was (and probably still is) a great guy.

No comments: