Sunday, January 21, 2007

'Zards 115-110

Uggh. Went to see my Wizards beat the hapless Celtics 115-110 in overtime last night. The good news was that I got to enjoy dinner and the game out with my wife. We went to Ella's woodfire Pizza on 9th Street for dinner. I've eaten there several times but Karen never had. They've got the artsy types of pizza that I knew Karen would like. Plus they have a darn good plain old pepperoni pizza that I love. So she did like it. I helped her out by finishing her last slice of pizza and decided that mine was better.
Now to the game. The Celtics are bad to start with but are even worst because they were missing their 2 best players to injury. The 'Zards got off to a big lead, but it all fell apart in the 3rd quarter. The Celtics even managed to gain a 6 point lead before the superior talent of the Wizards overcame them in overtime. Interesting thing, I watch the games intently and am often less than happy with the performance of my guys. Especially when seeing a 21 point lead turn into a 6 point deficit. I'll yell things out like "play some defense!" or "Come On guys". However when my wife did the same, suddenly I became protective. "Hey, that's my team out there that you're insulting" and "Its ok for me to criticise but I don't think you should". Of course I didn't actually say those things. But hey, I'm the one who's been with them since they were led by the Beef Brothers (Jeff Ruland and Rick Mahorn). Guess its like having kids. Its ok for me to be critical, but not you. Big game with Phoenix coming up. I'll be there in section 417. Hopefully we'll play better.

No comments: