Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Song of the Day

I Gotta Know by Wanda Jackson, queen of rockabilly (click to listen)

Warning: high twang factor ahead.

Two years ago, I went to Nashville on my annual NCAA tournament trip with my buddies. On the morning of the second round, we had a couple of hours to kill, so my friend Mike and I took a whirlwind tour of the Country Music Hall of Fame. Well near the Elvis display, there was a TV screen playing a video of a woman singing "Hard Headed Woman". This gal ROCKED! Plus she was kind of hot. Her name was Wanda Jackson. I had never heard of her.
When I got home, I did my online research and found out that she had been known as "the female Elvis" and the "queen of rockabilly". She had performed in the late '50s and early '60s and had toured with Elvis several times. My admiration grew even further when I read that she had been banned from the Grand Ole Opry for performing with bare shoulders. I purchased her cd and loved it. This one is one of my favorites.

Later on, I was pleased to find out that not only is she still alive, but she still performs. My wife and I were fortunate enough to see her play at the Black Cat in Washington, DC this past December. She still looks and sounds good.

No comments: