Thursday, April 2, 2009

April is Autism Month



So, I'm watching the NBA pregame show on TNT and I'm noticing that Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, Ernie Johnson, and former NBA star/current mayor of Sacramento Kevin Johnson are all wearing puzzle piece lapel pins. I'm touched.
April is autism awareness month so please be aware. I've been composing a mental letter to my Congressman and Senators that I hope to actually commit to paper soon. My message for this month is that while most of the national autism groups focus on early intervention and on medical research, those of us living with an autistic child need services. Karen and I are blessed to live in a county with good programs and wonderful staff working with teenaged handicapped kids. Kevin has a great aftercare program and tons of recreational opportunities available to him through the park services. But I worry. We don't need much. but if the aftercare program were canceled we would be in trouble. So please remember that we need more than research. We need aftercare programs and recreational services. They don't cost much and they are absolutely essential. So a special shout out to the Prince Georges County, MD park and planning agency. They make a difference.

No comments: